Blog on Wordpress containing related math links: Shadows of Simplicity
Go forward, faith will follow. -- d'Alembert
Mathematics compares the most diverse phenomena and discovers the secret analogies that unite them. -- Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier (1768–1830)
Mathematics/physics is "imagination in a straitjacket." -- to borrow from Feynman
It is not possible to be a mathematician without being a poet at heart. -- Sophia Kovalevskaya (1850--1891)
A romance of many dimensions. -- Edwin Abbott (on loan as an apt description in general of the work of passionate mathematicians)
Caveat emptor: As explicitly stated by one moderator to me, the number of likes is an indication of appreciation rather than necessarily the validity of a comment or answer. This perhaps accounts for the fact that sometimes responses on MO by Fields medalists (all wonderful contributors) that are disputable subjective claims or patently, objectively wrong have been highly upvoted. Thoroughly check everything that you may need to use (no self-exemption warranted) and don't take opinions here too seriously--blurting, politicking, and the full spectrum of personality traits, good and bad, can be found here as well as in pretty much any large group of people. As always, encourage the facilitators and discourage the obstructionists.
Member for 10 years
277 profile views
Last seen Jan 7 at 10:09
- MathOverflow 6.1k 6.1k 11 gold badge3636 silver badges5757 bronze badges
- Mathematics 1.9k 1.9k 1414 silver badges2626 bronze badges
- History of Science and Mathematics 689 689 33 silver badges1212 bronze badges
- Mathematics Educators 591 591 33 silver badges1414 bronze badges
- Cross Validated 291 291 11 silver badge66 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 68 Geometric / physical / probabilistic interpretations of Riemann zeta($n>1$)?
- 39 In "splendid isolation"
- 26 Why is there a connection between enumerative geometry and nonlinear waves?
- 26 Klein's Protocols: A window into our mathematical past
- 24 Why do polytopes pop up in Lagrange inversion?
- 22 When has discrete understanding preceded continuous?
- 21 The Dedekind eta function in physics
- View more network posts →