The pic is the phase portrait of a simple "piecewise isometry". Define a map by sliding the two halves of the plane: the top half to the right; the lower half to the left and then rotate. Around each periodic point of the map there's a "periodic island". These are what are in the image...
University of Victoria
Member for 9 years, 11 months
18 profile views
Last seen Oct 15 at 19:34
Top network posts
- 168 Tweetable Mathematics
- 65 Is this seemingly novel irrational constant also transcendental?
- 52 Old books still used
- 31 how to find/define eigenvectors as a continuous function of matrix?
- 29 A translation of the Cantor set contained in the irrationals
- 27 "Surprising" examples of Markov chains
- 27 Silly me & Van der Waerden conjecture
- View more network posts →