The pic is the phase portrait of a simple "piecewise isometry". Define a map by sliding the two halves of the plane: the top half to the right; the lower half to the left and then rotate. Around each periodic point of the map there's a "periodic island". These are what are in the image...
University of Victoria
Member for 10 years, 5 months
18 profile views
Last seen Apr 12 at 5:41
- MathOverflow 19.9k 19.9k 44 gold badges4444 silver badges8686 bronze badges
- Mathematics 755 755 33 silver badges1313 bronze badges
- Mathematics Educators 301 301 44 bronze badges
- French Language 247 247 11 silver badge66 bronze badges
- Music: Practice & Theory 203 203 11 silver badge66 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 174 Tweetable Mathematics
- 65 Is this seemingly novel irrational constant also transcendental?
- 53 Old books still used
- 31 how to find/define eigenvectors as a continuous function of matrix?
- 29 A translation of the Cantor set contained in the irrationals
- 27 Silly me & Van der Waerden conjecture
- 27 Examples of common false beliefs in mathematics
- View more network posts →