28
$\begingroup$

The 2014 Joint Mathematics Meetings will be held January 15-18, 2014 in Baltimore, with hundreds thousands of mathematicians attending. It happens that I plan to attend, and since I'd enjoy going to talks by many of the various MathOverflow personalities I've come to know in recent years, I'd like to know who from MO will be speaking there.

Question. Which MathOverflow people will be speaking at the JMM?

Please answer with a link to the entry in the program.

Also, will there be any MathOverflow gatherings there? If nothing is yet planned, shall we organize something?

$\endgroup$
  • $\begingroup$ "...hundreds of mathematicians attending." It's going to be a small meeting then --- the 2013 meeting drew over 6000 registrants. $\endgroup$ – Gerry Myerson Nov 19 '13 at 4:45
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks, Gerry, I'm glad to hear that I should say "thousands." Indeed, in my original post I had actually written "thousands", but lost confidence and so changed it to "hundreds". But I expect that the meeting will be bigger than ever! I've edited it back in. $\endgroup$ – Joel David Hamkins Nov 19 '13 at 4:52
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Here's the complete list of presenters at the JMM: jointmathematicsmeetings.org/meetings/national/jmm2014/… $\endgroup$ – Mark Meckes Nov 19 '13 at 5:49
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ I wish I wish I wish I could come to that... $\endgroup$ – Asaf Karagila Nov 19 '13 at 8:36
14
$\begingroup$

I will be giving the opening talk in the MAA Invited Paper Session "Six Crash Courses on Mapping Class Groups", which consists of a sequence of 45 minute introductory talks on various aspects of the mapping class group (thus it's really more of a short course than a traditional invited paper session, though each lecture in the course will be given by a different person). The page for my talk is here.

$\endgroup$
11
$\begingroup$

My talk for the ASL will be Saturday, January 18, 2:00 - 2:50, Room 319, BCC.

$\endgroup$
11
$\begingroup$

I wonder if it make sense, at some future Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM), to have a MathOverflow booth among the "Exhibitors"? Not all booths are publishers. For example, the Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences has a booth at JMM, as does the Museum of Mathematics. I know nothing of the financial aspects of this, but it certainly would raise MO's visibility in the U.S. Of course, this assumes that raising MO's visibility is desirable.

One could ask the same question for equivalent broad math conferences worldwide.

$\endgroup$
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ ...as does the Electronic Frontier Foundation (golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2014/01/…) - booths can be there for all sorts of reasons. I like the idea of a MO booth, but I'm not sure what it would do. Maybe people could leave their questions, the MO-er at the booth would ask it on MO, then the person could come back the next day to see if they'd got an answer. Sort of like the Mechanical Turk. $\endgroup$ – Tom Leinster Jan 16 '14 at 20:59
  • $\begingroup$ There was a bulletin board at the meeting in 2010 (or was it 2011?) where people could post questions. $\endgroup$ – Gerry Myerson Jan 17 '14 at 3:40
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @GerryMyerson looking at the old thread dicussing this it seems both 2010 and 2011 tea.mathoverflow.net/discussion/112 // See also the User 2010 Joint Meetings mathoverflow.net/users/3149/2010-joint-meetings $\endgroup$ – user9072 Jan 17 '14 at 12:08
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ That's possible. We're about to become an official 501(c)(3) nonprofit, which will allow us to raise money for such things on our own. Could you make this a feature request for the next JMM? $\endgroup$ – François G. Dorais Jan 17 '14 at 17:00
  • $\begingroup$ @FrançoisG.Dorais: I am afraid I do not understand what constitutes "a feature request for the next JMM"? $\endgroup$ – Joseph O'Rourke Jan 18 '14 at 13:47
  • $\begingroup$ @JosephO'Rourke: Post a feature-request question on meta. We can then hash out details of organizing such a thing. $\endgroup$ – François G. Dorais Jan 18 '14 at 20:35
7
$\begingroup$

Bill Johnson will talk on Saturday at 9 am about Embeddings of $\ell_p(\aleph)$ spaces into $L_p$ spaces.

$\endgroup$
  • 6
    $\begingroup$ Quid, will you be speaking? We'd be happy to link to your talk. $\endgroup$ – Joel David Hamkins Dec 8 '13 at 1:01
  • 5
    $\begingroup$ No. That'd been a fun way to identify myself though :-) Maybe another year. $\endgroup$ – user9072 Dec 8 '13 at 1:11
  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Well, we'll all look forward to that! $\endgroup$ – Joel David Hamkins Dec 8 '13 at 1:12
4
$\begingroup$

Mark Sapir will speak on Uniform embedding of groups into Banach spaces on Saturday at 3 pm.

$\endgroup$
3
$\begingroup$

Carl Mummert will speak on The modal logic of reverse mathematics on Friday at 3pm.

$\endgroup$

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .