The pic is the phase portrait of a simple "piecewise isometry". Define a map by sliding the two halves of the plane: the top half to the right; the lower half to the left and then rotate. Around each periodic point of the map there's a "periodic island". These are what are in the image...
Top Network Posts
- 59Is this seemingly novel irrational constant also transcendental?
- 47Old books still used
- 32A translation of the Cantor set contained in the irrationals
- 29how to find/define eigenvectors as a continuous function of matrix?
- 25Silly me & Van der Waerden conjecture
- 22Examples of common false beliefs in mathematics
- 20Elementary applications of linear algebra over finite fields
- View more network posts →